The people of the Presbyterian Church have been meeting on the corner of West Church Street and North Chestnut Street since 1859. Another Presbyterian church in the country north of town disbanded in the 1850’s. By 1900 our congregation had outgrown its original frame building. It was sold to the Roman Catholic parish in 1901 and moved to South Main Street where the present Church of the Assumption stands. The present church building has been in use since 1903. It is built of recycled brick with a covering of red sandstone from Mansfield, Ohio. Columbus architect Frank Packard designed an “Akron plan” church with an Oriental pagoda look, in an arts-and-crafts Gothic style. The worship area with its circular dome. provides excellent acoustics for choir and special instrumental music featured in our services. Our Felgemacher pipe organ is the only true pipe organ in Barnesville. The church bell, original to this building, is usually rung at the beginning and end of each service and our carillon chimes the hours and plays familiar hymns at 1:00 and 6:00 each day.
Impressive stained glass and painted glass windows grace every room of the church. The three massive windows in the sanctuary were constructed by the William Willet studio in Pittsburgh. Two of these witness to Christ’s resurrection victory over death, basic for Christian faith and hope. The other, young Christ in the temple, reminds us of the importance of questioning and discussion for Christian learning and growth.
The church with its broad, fossil-imbedded lime stone steps is a favorite site for weddings in our area.
The red tile roof and bell tower of First Presbyterian church have marked the Barnesville skyline for over a hundred years. The roof, however, weighted down with over 95 tons of ceramic tile was beginning to show the effects of time and during 2010 received a major lift. After months of proposals and deliberation, the Church’s Trustees and Elders, committed to preserving the church as a unique historical landmark and inspiring place of worship, gave the major renovation project a unanimous go-ahead vote. The decision was backed by years of provident planning and a history of member and community support. Contributions from visitors and concerned citizens are always welcome.